Saturday, January 31, 2009

Relief


The last few days have been rough for me, but I can only imagine they've been far worse for Maddie.

Starting on Tuesday evening, Maddie started to run a fever. I was worried and I called the doctor. On his advice, I pumped my little one full of grape Infant's Tylenol, which wiped out the fever. Well, over the next couple days, the fever would rear its ugly head, but I second guessed my mommy instinct and tried to convince myself that nothing was wrong. After two night of Maddie spiking a fever of 103+, I finally took Maddie into the doctor. We spent four very, very long hours at the doctor's office on Friday, trying to figure out what was wrong. They finally decided that she probably had a UTI and called in a prescription to our pharmacy. As we were checking out of the doctor's office, my poor little girl started to shake and her lips turned blue, so I insisted we see the doctor before we left. Her temperature was 104.8 so they promptly sent us to the ER. We spent four hours at the ER where we found out that Maddie had had a febrile seizure and that she had a pretty serious UTI. They shot her full of antibiotics, and sent her home. Over the course of the day, Maddie had to get four catheders, she was poked three times to try to draw blood, and she got one nasty shot of strong antibiotics. Maddie did such a great job; she was far braver than her mother.

I'm so glad Maddie's all right; I feel like I can FINALLY breathe a sigh of relief. I can't imagine much being scarier than watching my baby shake and turn blue. I'm so grateful that everything worked out as it did, and everything happened WHILE we were at the doctor's office.

Today, Maddie is almost totally back to normal. Her fever is almost nonexistent, and she's been such a sweet and energetic little girl all day. I've learned I really need to listen to my mommy instict, because it's better than I give myself credit for.

No comments:

Post a Comment