Thursday, June 10, 2010

Fear. It's a Scary Thing.

Maddie is sick. Again. It feels like her illnesses are never ending. This time, she has a fever. And a cough. And a cold. And she won't eat. Just like every other time she's been sick over the last four months. And it's wearing on me. I'm angry. I'm sad. I'm frustrated. I'm confused. But most of all, I'm afraid. Not afraid that her fever won't get better. Not afraid that her cough won't improve and her cold won't go away. Not afraid that she's underweight. Not even afraid that her breathing will get worse again. I'm afraid to lose her. Don't get me wrong; I know that there is very little chance that there is some unyielding, evil disease lurking below the surface of my baby. But when she has constantly been sick for so long, the fear starts to set in. Not a timid, gentle fear. A thick, heavy, intense fear that crushes me, to the point where I can physically feel it suffocating me. And my daughter can sense my fear. Tonight, after I'd given her some ibuprofen to try and lower her temperature, Maddie looked me in the eyes and said, "Don't worry, Mama. I won't worry". When I promised her that I wouldn't worry, she looked my in the eyes very seriously and said, "Don't cry, Mama." And I wasn't crying. Not yet.

My fear is centered around the unknown more than anything else. Right now, my life is certainly more planned than it was a few weeks ago, when I was sitting at home, in Wickenburg, wondering where life would take us next. Maddie was sick, we didn't know where we would be living, we didn't have a job, we didn't know how we could keep our insurance which we desperately need. Through that difficult period, I had more faith than I've ever had before. I believed that God would point us in the right direction, put us in the right place, and meet our needs. And He did. I don't know why this fear has overwhelmed me today, when we've always been okay. It's not pleasant. It's not comfortable. It's not how I want to feel. I don't want my daughter to have to comfort me when she so desperately needs my comfort. But this fear...it's hard to shake. It's hard to let go of. It's hard to believe that my daughter will be okay when she seems to NEVER be okay. So, for tonight, I'm going to be afraid. I'm going to be really, really scared. I'm going to imagine every mystery illness, every worst case scenario, every one of my worst nightmares. And then tomorrow? Well, tomorrow I think I'll let someone else worry about those things. So tomorrow? God, you're it.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you are going through this. Dallas has amazing doctors. On a personal note; my daughter was always very sick and has always been very underweight. She has been tested for CF, dwarfism, ciliac disease, HGH production, cardiac issues, along with a dozen others. They have actually mapped her DNA to see if they could find anything and after years...nothing. I used to (and still do occasionally) have some inner fear than cancer is eating away inside or some other horribly tragic disease. Time and trust is all that has worked for me. I had to trust that she was just a scrawny sickly child. She is still very underweight at almost 12 years old and 50 pounds. As she gets older I now worry (along with the old fears) this will turn into anorexia or some other ED after a life of being labeled and identifying as "little".

    Being a parent is the most intense job we will ever have. Know that you are doing everything you can for your daughter. If (God forbid) there is anything wrong with her, you will fight like hell for that little girl and do everything in your power for her. You are a great mom; let yourself cry and stress and then pull it back together. Things always seem to work themselves out and get better! You are doing all you can at this point. Being sure she is healthy, that there is no underlying issues, getting her good medical care, and loving her like crazy! I hope you find some answers or at least some peace in this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry To hear about that. I will prey for you guys.

    ReplyDelete